University of Florida redshirt junior Chris Rainey (Lakeland, Fla.) has been named the Southeastern Conference Special Teams Player of the Week, the league office announced on Monday.
Rainey blocked two punts that set up a pair of touchdowns in Florida's 55-14 victory against Vanderbilt on Saturday. On offense, he caught four passes for 75 yards, highlighted by a career-long 40-yard touchdown pass from redshirt junior quarterback John Brantley (Ocala, Fla.). Rainey led the Gators in all-purpose yards for the second-straight game, totaling 136 yards (75 receiving, 39 punt return, 14 kick return, eight rushing).
Rainey's four career punt blocks are the most by any Gator under head coach Urban Meyer. He has been responsible for Florida's last four blocks (Vanderbilt (twice), 11/6/10; Mississippi State, 10/24/09; Kentucky, 9/26/09). In addition, his four blocked kicks match the school record held by Tim Paulk (1987-91), Sam McCorkle (1992-95) and Carlos Dunlap (2007-09).
The honor marks the eighth time this season and second-consecutive that a Florida player has been picked for the weekly accolade after freshman Trey Burton (Venice, Fla.) was named Freshman of the Week and senior Chas Henry (Dallas, Ga.) was named Special Teams Player of the Week on Nov. 1.
The Gators (6-3, 4-3) will face South Carolina (6-3, 4-3) on Saturday, Nov. 13, at 7:15 p.m. at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The game will air live nationally on ESPN.
Florida's 2010 SEC Players of the Week (as of Nov. 8
● Jaye Howard – Defensive Line Player of the Week after Miami University game (9/6/10)
● Jeff Demps – Special Teams Player of the Week after USF game (9/13/10)
● Mike Pouncey – Offensive Line Player of the Week after USF game (9/13/10)
● Jelani Jenkins – Freshman of the Week after Tennessee game (9/20/10)
● Trey Burton – Freshman of the Week after Kentucky game (9/27/10)
● Chas Henry – Co-Special Teams Player of the Week after Georgia game (11/01/10)
● Trey Burton – Tri-Freshman of the Week after Georgia game (11/01/10)
● Chris Rainey – Special Teams Player of the Week after Vanderbilt game (11/08/10)
- Font Size
- Reading Mode